Tuesday, May 10, 2016

   This week Lauren and I have been using Tinkercad to design our filter with the 3D printer. This will allow us to start testing with parts that are specifically for a filter. The only problem so far, is that the supplies that we ordered on amazon (The PH, water quality, and Salinity tester) are extremely late, they were ordered on the 19th and were supposed to be delivered nearly three weeks ago. Since we don't have those supplies, we will not be able to test out the water until it arrives and that should hopefully be any day now. Whenever those come in we will be able to numerically see the results there. 

Thursday, April 28, 2016

    This week is when Lauren and I will be measuring the different levels of things in the water such as ph, salinity, and the water quality. The supply's should arrive tomorrow, so we will have the tools to do the project. We are planning on using oil of oregano, membrane filters and charcoal. We are also going to use a common method where you use the heat of the sun to evaporate the water leaving salt and other particles behind. Thats where the remaining cleaner water is filtered through the oil, membrane filter paper and charcoal. Then, we will test the clean water and compare it to it's original results to see improvement in the water quality. We're going to try a few different combinations to see which one works the best and if there is anything else that can be improved on.

Thursday, April 21, 2016

    This week lauren and I have been working on our checkpoint assignment. It is due on tuesday and it is simply a checkpoint where we describe what we have accomplished so far and what we have failed at and we have to list our short term and long term goals. My short term goals are to test the water within the next week, and to find more ingredients that will work for removing bacteria such as vinegar and other more acidic ph's 

Sunday, April 3, 2016

       Yesterday, Lauren and I finally did our experiment! We started off with dirty and salty brown pond water and then we used the membrane filters and our selected ingredients to filter out the salt and some of the dirt. We first tried out the chia seeds. The chia seeds seemed to absorb a lot of the dirt making the overall water much clearer. After that we tried pineapple, then potatoes,  the yogurt, and coconut oil. The pineapple and potatoes seemed to do fairly well and the coconut oil collected much of the visible dirt particles but the yogurt was too watery and did absolutely nothing. After that Lauren and I took some samples of the chia seeds water before and after filtering. We did not yet take samples of the other ingredients. We have just ordered PH/ Water quality/ Salinity tester off of Amazon so as soon as that arrives we will be able to check out the results much more precisely and we will be able to re evaluate the other ingredients. I think our project is doing well so far and I'm ready to see which ingredients help to most.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Preparing for Conducting Our Experiment

       Just yesterday, Lauren and I have listed 9 ingredients to test out on saltwater to see if they make a difference on the level of salt in the water. We also went shopping for everything and the membrane filter paper has just arrived! This wednesday, we are going to conduct the experiment. The nine ingredients we have researched about and chosen to individually evaluate are: Yogurt, Pineapple, Potato/ Potato skin, Eggplant, Multiple varieties of oil, Flax seeds, Chia seeds, Tea Bags, and Cranberries. All of these are known to have higher absorption rates and the potatoes and eggplants are especially known to absorb salt specifically! The Pineapple has enzymes that degrade certain substances so we are anxious to see thats effect on the salt. Also, when chia seeds are put in water they basically absorb it so i'm excited to see if those will absorb the salt. When we start our experiment, we will have a strainer over a bowl and in the strainer we will put the membrane filters and a thick layer of the chosen ingredient, then we will pour the salt water into the strainer and let it filter through.

Saturday, March 19, 2016

                Since it is spring break, our project has been paused for the past week. We will start again once school resumes so we will have time to collaborate. I'm really excited to try out this new idea whenever the supplies get in like the nutrient agar, petri dish and some gloves. You have to be very careful using nutrient agar because since it is made to support growing bacteria, it can also harbor bad bacteria that can make you sick so we will have to make sure to wash our hands and wear protective gloves while conducting the experiment.

Sunday, March 6, 2016

A New Great Idea

           After a lot of research, Lauren and I have come up with a great new Idea. It is inexpensive and simple. We are planning to grow a bacteria that eats/ decomposes lead/salt. While doing this the salt/lead will be extracted from the water making it safe to drink. We have learned about this concept and figured out that it is possible so we are going to grow some of this and test it out as soon as it's finished. For the salt extraction, we have figured out that salt is attracted to magnets, so that could potentially be useful also. I'm really excited to get things going and I have a great feeling about this new idea!