Sunday, March 27, 2016

Preparing for Conducting Our Experiment

       Just yesterday, Lauren and I have listed 9 ingredients to test out on saltwater to see if they make a difference on the level of salt in the water. We also went shopping for everything and the membrane filter paper has just arrived! This wednesday, we are going to conduct the experiment. The nine ingredients we have researched about and chosen to individually evaluate are: Yogurt, Pineapple, Potato/ Potato skin, Eggplant, Multiple varieties of oil, Flax seeds, Chia seeds, Tea Bags, and Cranberries. All of these are known to have higher absorption rates and the potatoes and eggplants are especially known to absorb salt specifically! The Pineapple has enzymes that degrade certain substances so we are anxious to see thats effect on the salt. Also, when chia seeds are put in water they basically absorb it so i'm excited to see if those will absorb the salt. When we start our experiment, we will have a strainer over a bowl and in the strainer we will put the membrane filters and a thick layer of the chosen ingredient, then we will pour the salt water into the strainer and let it filter through.

Saturday, March 19, 2016

                Since it is spring break, our project has been paused for the past week. We will start again once school resumes so we will have time to collaborate. I'm really excited to try out this new idea whenever the supplies get in like the nutrient agar, petri dish and some gloves. You have to be very careful using nutrient agar because since it is made to support growing bacteria, it can also harbor bad bacteria that can make you sick so we will have to make sure to wash our hands and wear protective gloves while conducting the experiment.

Sunday, March 6, 2016

A New Great Idea

           After a lot of research, Lauren and I have come up with a great new Idea. It is inexpensive and simple. We are planning to grow a bacteria that eats/ decomposes lead/salt. While doing this the salt/lead will be extracted from the water making it safe to drink. We have learned about this concept and figured out that it is possible so we are going to grow some of this and test it out as soon as it's finished. For the salt extraction, we have figured out that salt is attracted to magnets, so that could potentially be useful also. I'm really excited to get things going and I have a great feeling about this new idea!